How does your garden grow?

I'm on a voyage of discovery in my first garden.
It's mostly about the veggies at the moment but I'm also discovering lots about flowers and other plants - quite often the hard way and always on a very tight budget.
But this blog is not just about my garden, it's about all the things I see and discover in Sussex and beyond and I would love to hear from you too.

Wednesday, 2 March 2011

A tale of two feeders

I bought a nyjer seed feeder for my birds this week.
My motivation? To encourage some of the goldfinches from the neighbouring woodland into my garden to join the party.
At £1.25 from Wilkos, I thought it was worth a try. One of my Twitter friends said theirs worked a treat and the goldfinches are regular visitors to their garden nowadays.
Having filled it full of the tiny black seeds, I nailed it to the shed.
It's safe to say it did initially generate a lot of interest from the great tits and blue tits - even the nuthatch came and had a look - but, with the exception of one or two blue tits, none of them managed to master the art of standing on the little green perches and feeding from the hole in the tube.
Meanwhile, the peanut feeder at the opposite end of the shed continues to be oversubscribed with a steady queue of woodpeckers, nuthatches, coal tits, great tits, blue tits and even a robin managing to cling on and feed.
Underneath, the chaffinches, dunnocks, blackbirds and occasional magpie, jackdaw and pheasant feed off the crumbs dropped on the ground.
Cut back to the other end of the shed...
Nothing.
I'll go back to the drawing board and see if I can find another feeder that would give the tweetlets easier access.
They look interested, but not interested enough to persevere.

3 comments:

  1. Strange - my feeders had the opposite effect! The nuts are always left & the birds go mad for the seeds!

    http://greenfingersmum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Roz! Don't give up with the Niger, once you get Goldfinches in, they will love the feeder. Problem is that you need them visiting already to find the seed. Not a lot else will bother with Niger seed in a feeder.

    I have found that the best way to get Goldfinches down is to use sunflower hearts (which everything loves). Once they find the Niger, they will start to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Success, the garden is full of goldfinches now and the greenfinches seem to like the seed too! Thanks for the advice - they got there in the end.

    ReplyDelete