How does your garden grow?

I'm on a voyage of discovery in my first garden.
It's mostly about the veggies at the moment but I'm also discovering lots about flowers and other plants - quite often the hard way and always on a very tight budget.
But this blog is not just about my garden, it's about all the things I see and discover in Sussex and beyond and I would love to hear from you too.

Thursday, 15 September 2011

Common blue suffers after cold summer

The numbers of common blue butterflies has fallen by two-thirds because of the cool summer, according to experts.
The insects, which are frequent visitors to my garden, were among the butterfly species to suffer most as a result of the weather, with numbers falling by 61%.
The figures are a result of the Big Butterfly Count survey involving 34,000 people who recorded 322,000 sightings of butterflies.
Wildlife charity Butterfly Conservation said it had expected a bumper year for butterflies because of the hot, dry spring but the prolonged spells of rain meant many of the insects were unable to fly, feed or breed.
I have plans to rejuvinate the wild flower corner in my garden next year to encourage more butterflies and other insects - perhaps I should supply a few umbrellas too!
PHOTO: alber1ch


No comments:

Post a Comment