How does your garden grow?

I'm on a voyage of discovery in my first garden.
It's mostly about the veggies at the moment but I'm also discovering lots about flowers and other plants - quite often the hard way and always on a very tight budget.
But this blog is not just about my garden, it's about all the things I see and discover in Sussex and beyond and I would love to hear from you too.

Saturday, 31 July 2010

No tools? No problem

Luckily my new garden came equipped with a shed, but the only tool I had to keep in there was a lonely hand trowel.
Armed with my little trowel and a borrowed fork, I managed to tackle the most pressing task of sowing some vegetable seeds but, with money tight, I had to find other ways of getting some tools.
My great-grandfather bequeathed his ancient but comprehensive tool collection to my father some years ago and, while they look more like the kind of things you find in museums, many are still perfectly good. Thanks to "Pop" I now have my own fork, a dutch hoe, a hand fork and another trowel.
While my salad crops are coming up nicely, I know that next year I want to grow a much wider variety of vegetables so I'm considering putting in another two beds and rotating the crops between them each year.
But to dig more beds, I really will need a spade, and for this I will need to part with some cash. But how can I choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment